I said yesterday about my October list with things to improve about myself… or just do. Anyway, you can find the list here, but I want to go into details with the whole eating habits and food stuff.
I am a student and I don’t live with my mum anymore and it’s really easy to eat only instant ramen or instant mashed potatoes or to eat out, and that’s not really healthy. Fortunately for me I love cooking. But finding time (and the mood – I am such a lazy cat) for cooking is rather difficult.
I was never able to keep a food diary. So this summer I kinda did that on my tumblr with pictures because it’s way easier to photograph what you eat rather than writing it down. But guess what? I think it’s better to write it down. Since last week of September I started a meal diary that I want to continue this month too. Since then I discovered some unhealthy eating habits that I have so this month I’ll also try to work on those.
About the meal journal: I have a binder and I write everything down in there because it’s easier to organize it and I always work better on plain paper than on a notebook really. I usually write after I eat if I’m at home, if I’m not I just make a note on my phone. I write down the meal, the hour and what I was doing while eating (it’s hard not to multitask while eating and I know it’s not good, but IT’S HARD!). I don’t think to much about how many calories I have on my plate, I try to estimate them after I’m done eating but it’s ok not to be exact – because it’s hard especially with home cooked meals.
But a meal journal is great for observing what you tend to do like I tend to snack a lot between my meals, I also snack more when I’m in bed with my laptop. And the best part about the diary: it helps you get better because you are aware of your bad or good habits.
Eating habits list: Here is the list with things I want to improve or work on when it comes to my meals.
- try to respect the three main meals – being in college makes it very hard to do so, fortunately this is my last year and I have lots of free time because I need to work on my big project and all that jazz. So I’m gonna try to have breakfast early in the morning (11 am is not early in the morning), lunch around 1 pm or 2 pm and dinner… well, dinner is the tricky one because I have days with classes till 7 pm or even 9 pm so… I’m gonna try to eat it around 6-8 pm depending on my day.
- eat breakfast daily – I got a lot better at this one, but it’s still hard to do it every day and sometimes I just pretend it doesn’t exist. Not good!
- stop snacking so much – I will try to snack once between the meals and maybe once after dinner because sometimes I go to sleep at really late hours.
- no fizzy drinks or “natural” juices from the supermarket – I am not a fizzy drink person, but I still drink them when I visit my friends or when I go out. I will continue to drink Frugo from time to time because that it’s just the best juice ever!
- cook a new thing weekly – because cooking is fun.
- don’t eat on the street – it’s just a trick to keep me from snacking and also, it’s not that nice, is it?
I’m not gonna try to stop “doing stuff” (and by doing I mean watching tv) while eating because that I really can’t. And I think this is it. Wow, I really expected to have more things on the list but it’s great, right? Well, wish me luck. I guess.